Sunday, June 16, 2013

The dog ate my desserts

I quest for perfection. When my husband and I first got married I spent three days baking various brownies (his favorite dessert) 3-4 kinds a day having him sample--and then taking the rest to work so,they weren't in the house and yes, I Do like being an awesome wife and all the guys from his shop knowing it, I found the 10/10 recipe. That was in 2003. I spent 4 years to get the perfect southern biscuit fluffy, light and tall...I didn't stop till I found a 10. Since 2003 I have been questing for the perfect cinnamon roll for Christmas morning..las we usually go with Rhodes, my quest has not been complete. Until two days ago. My daughter suggested we make cinnamon rolls. I remembered having pinned this recipe. So we printed it out and as I put 8 cups of flour in the mixer I started realizing that this was going to DOUBLE in size...yeah it did. But man, I did it, this was the 10. I used chai tea in the maple glaze instead do coffee since we aren't coffee drinkers. Divine. And two large 13x9 pans and a round disposable tin later...we had all concluded that this was the dough. And the glaze made it beyond awesome. One pan was split between my family and my Brother-inl-Law who may or may not have shared with his family. The tin sent out as a gift, and the other pan left to be divided up to take to the neighbors. I got ready to do this and couldn't find the pan. It wasn't on the counter. Weird. I turn and there around the corner of the kitchen island is my pan. On the floor. Empty. I knew at once it was Daylin. How he manages to get pans from the back of the counter, (and luckily for him not break this one as its my favorite stone pan) is,beyond me, he isn't a large dog. Medium. The first dessert snatch was a cherry pie...another story. He ate all 18 cinnamon rolls and licked the pan clean. I just looked at the pan in disbelief and then he walked into the room. He looked at me. I looked at him. (Ok I glowered) and he did that tail tuck droopy eared I know I'm in trouble thing, but in his eyes I saw this "it was SO worth it" look. I kicked him out of the house for a while because I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. The neighbors won't get a plate do ooey gooey awesome cinnamon rolls. But given the cleanliness of that pan, I'd say its unanimous in the family including the four legged ones...we've got our Christmas morning cinnamon rolls, and neighbor gifts for Christmas...that is unless Daylin gets to them first.


No comments:

Post a Comment